Monday, October 30, 2017

Good things (have) come to an end


Several months ago, the Painting Crusade team announced that the 2017 edition would be the last one. Attendees were wondering if it was "for real". Somehow, the staff members were also hoping that something would make them change their mind. Maybe the PC wouldn't die, or maybe another event would be taken over by the members who were still willing to put up something.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 26/09/2017)


Boom! Still unfinished, but glad I could take a big step forward at once with this big piece that the helmet represents. Still have to put a second coat on it, and probably touch up the edges here and there, but it's still a big achievement.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 24/09/2017)


Just granted me some time to work on it. Been a while! I was a bit rusty with the strokes, but I'm happy I could manage to work on the whole shirt checkers at once, for a more homogeneous result. Still gotta add some shadows and add a second layer do the black squares, but the hardest part of it is done. After that, still a big challenge to come: the helmet!


Thursday, September 14, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 14/09/2017)


Back to the great slowness... but still moving! The king part is more or less done. I might add some cross-hatching details on the white shoulder pads. Or not. I'll see. A big advantage of working over a substantial coat of gesso is that I can scratch errors with a sharp knife blade.

There won't be any update about this for a while, as I won't be able to work on it. Dammit. It's far from being finished anyway...



Saturday, September 2, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 02/09/2017)


First two steps done!
- Basecoat with gesso to have a white, smooth surface compatible with pencil/eraser and black liners.
- Reproduction of the drawings with a pencil. To ease the erasing later, I've used a hard 2H pencil.

About 20 hours in the making... Next step: inking of the contours!


Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 28/08/2017)


I'm supposed to be on holidays, yet it's been days since I've done something for the board. After some further tests, I managed to find a good combination of the 3 main elements (the 2 characters and the text band that separates them. I've also made more tests on paper for variations on the design of the king. Now I know what I want it to look like.

 

 Time to start primering the board with gesso. It's quite of a long process... and involves physical involvement!